How to Wear Pajamas in Public…and Look Like You’re Not
There is nothing comfier than a favorite pair of pajamas! So why not explore how to wear pajamas in public!
I used to come home from a long day of teaching and immediately hop into my jammies…at 5:00 pm!
Once working from home became common, the world rediscovered the comfort of sleepwear that, at times, doubled as professional wear…at least from the waist up!
Loungewear is now a full-on trend that is not going away. So, it might be helpful to know how to wear pajamas in public!
This blog contains affiliate links. This means a small commission is earned if you make a purchase by using this link. The price you pay will be the same whether you use the affiliate link or go directly to the vendor’s website using a non-affiliate link.
I can (and often do) spend the entire day in my pajamas. Don’t worry! I am not reclining on the sofa watching tv. I am working!
Whether working at the computer or upholstering a chair, I can get a lot done when wearing my pajamas! (I change into fresh jammies for bedtime!)
Just like a hybrid work schedule, here are a few ways you can “hybridize” your pajama wardrobe!
How to Wear Pajamas in Public
- A classic top/bottom pajama set will give you the most versatility when mixing it in with your wardrobe.
- Break up the pajama set and combine the top or bottom with other non-pajama pieces.
- Consider pairing a patterned piece with a solid counterpart.
- Sleepwear material can be thin. Wear appropriate undergarments to support thinner fabrics.
- Give cotton pieces a quick once-over with an iron for a non-rumpled look.
- Complete your look with jewelry, street shoes (not slippers!), and other accessories.
- Flannel pj pants and bunny slippers scream bedtime sleeping. Keep those for beddy bye!
Style the Top
A classic pajama top gives a casual chic vibe with some boyfriend jeans and sneakers. Because of the thin material and low v-neck, I wore my favorite Skinny Tee in white underneath.
Working at home? Going to a movie? Entertaining guests? This pajama bottoms and silky blouse combo is comfortable and stylish at the same time!
Don’t Forget the Robe!
There are so many amazing kimono-style robes in various lengths and beautiful patterns.
In both of these photos, I added a colorful kimono-style robe to a pair of basic cropped pants, a white tee, and white sneakers. Add some hoop earrings and you are stylishly set for the day!
With a little thought and experimentation, your pajamas can work for you 24/7!
A few other fashion ideas…
When Fashion Meets Home Decor
The author may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.