From Tablecloth to Circle Skirt
It’s that time of year again when I’m in the mood for some old fashioned sewing and crafting! Last year I started this season with a DIY Tulle Skirt that was fairly simple and required little sewing knowledge. This year I’m sharing an even simpler DIY Tablecloth skirt. It basically follows the same pattern & instructions for the tulle skirt. So what makes it so simple? It doesn’t require any extra layers or finishing! Let’s get sewing.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you I may make a commission if you click through and purchase.
Supplies to make a Tablecloth into a Circle Skirt
- Tablecloth (Fabric) of Choice (I went with pink sequins).
- Thick Elastic (Recommended to buy 1inch+. Choose an elastic color that works with your fabric or something fun to make it stand out).
- Thread (Choose a color that will work with your fabric & elastic!)
- Needle or Sewing Machine (Hand sewing will take more time and patience but the end result will be amazing).
Easy Steps to Creating a DIY Tablecloth Skirt
- Fold your fabric in half and then fold it in half again to form a triangle shape.
- Measure your waist (the smallest part of your torso) and divide that number by 6.28. (This number will be your measurement you use in the next step).
- Using the measurement from your equation (waist size / 6.28) cut a quarter circle from the corner of your folded fabric.
- Use your full waist measurement (NOT divided) to cut your elastic band. Sew the ends of the elastic together.
- Take your elastic waistband and pin your fabric to the INSIDE of the waistband to keep it in place while sewing.
- Sew the elastic band to the fabric. *NOTE* To sew your skirt to the elastic, be sure to use the “pull” method so that the elastic can do it’s job properly in expanding over your hips. (See video tutorial here). If you are sewing by hand, it may require another persons help.
- Tablecloth (https://shopstyle.it/l/brft21194855330111&ke)
- Elastic (https://shopstyle.it/l/brft4)
The author may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.