One day I was looking for inspiration on Pinterest and saw a gorgeous floral midi-length skirt, I immediately thought it would be a great project to try. And since I didn’t own any skirt like that I decided to make one myself. It’s simple and fast to sew, plus it looks gorgeous on so many outfits, and no matter the weather it can be worn.
Therefore I want to show you how to make your own midi skirt, which you’ll be able to personalize as you wish. That’s the beauty of MeMade garments?! Made to your specific needs and wishes.
It's very common to find this type of skirt in linen or in very thin materials, like organic cotton or silk. You can choose whatever you want to create that perfect skirt, from a printed fabric to solid colors. I recommend, like always a sustainable fabric option (organic cotton or linen) but you can use whatever adjusts to your budget.
I had this leftover floral fabric, which I’ll be using, but you can buy some from an ethical supplier or reuse what you already have at home like me.
LET YOUR CREATIVITY FLOW!
Some suppliers for sustainable fabrics we recommend are:
- 2 meters of Fabric (look for a fabric with a wide edge, so the length of your skirt will fit, like1.50 mts or more.)
- 5-6 buttons
- Measuring tape
- Fabric Scissors
- Pencil, clay, or a piece of chalk (to mark the fabric)
- Sewing Machine
*You can do it by hand, it will take longer, but it’s possible because there are not many steps to follow.Now…Let’s get started!
Measurements we’ll need
- Waist (measure your waist at the thinnest point but don’t tighten the tape to your body, let it a little loose so the skirt won’t squish you)
- Skirt length (measure the length you’ll like it to be, from the waist down)
*Midi length is supposed to end between your ankle and your knee.
Other measurements to consider for the molds:
- Waistband width: 10 cm
- Waistband length: waist + 8 cm
- Winglet: 5 cm (width)
- Seam allowance of 1 cm
- Hem allowance 2 cm