Holiday Face Mask
The holiday season this year is going to be pretty unusual, what with limited travel, social distancing and wearing face coverings. So let's make things a little more merry with this pretty decorated Christmas tree holiday face mask!
- woven cotton fabric (red and green, with a small scrap of yellow)
- Heat n Bond Lite
- fabric shears
- 2 mm seed beads
- thin hand sewing needle
- red, green and yellow thread
- 3-4 mm elastic
- sewing machine and usual sewing materials
- FREE PATTERN for handmade Christmas mask ( click here for the pattern)
Use the face mask pattern to cut out two outside pieces and two inside pieces.
Trace the tree and star onto Heat n Bond Lite and iron it to the fabric as shown here. Cut out along the lines.
Peel off the backing of the Heat n Bond and iron it on to one of the outer pieces. Then sew around the edges of the applique piece with a tight zig zag stitch.
(See this tutorial for more information on how to machine applique)
Now get your beads ready and thread your hand needle.
Insert the needle through the back of the tree and sew beads onto the front of the tree.
Put the two outside pieces together and the two inside pieces, right sides facing. Pin and sew along the curved edge.
Trim the seam allowances, then put outside and inside together, right sides facing and sew top and bottom with a 1 cm seam allowance. Trim and turn right side out. Press and topstitch with a 5 mm seam allowance.
(These pictures are obviously from another mask, shown in my general tutorial on how to sew a contoured face mask.)
Fold the open sides inwards by 5 mm, then so that the fold meets the fold of the inner fabric. Sew in place, then insert a 50 cm long piece of elastic into each casing with a safety pin. Tie the ends of the elastic together.
See my full tutorial for the handmade Christmas tree face mask for all the extra details and tips, as well as information on how to insert a wire nose bridge or non-elastic ties, as well as how to sew a filter!
Or watch my video!
Enjoyed the project?
- Woven cotton fabric
- Heat n Bond Lite (https://amzn.to/3lMrR5i)
- 2 mm seed beads (https://amzn.to/38YV0XN)
- 3-4 mm elastic (https://amzn.to/2WQy3yS)
- Thin hand sewing needle (https://amzn.to/35wyinE)
- FREE PATTERN for handmade Christmas mask (https://www.cucicucicoo.com/2020/11/diy-christmas-face-mask-pattern-se)
The author may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
So pretty and cheerfull! Thank you for sharing.