DIY Coffee Scrub for Cellulite, Stretch Marks Without Coconut Oil
Can your skin use an instant refresh? Learn how to make a homemade coffee scrub recipe for cellulite, stretch marks and anti-aging skin care. As there are a number of coffee scrub benefits for skin, this DIY coffee scrub is an incredibly easy beauty hack to help you achieve glowing skin, reduce puffiness caused by inflammation, and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
As coconut oil has a high comedogenic rating which can lead to clog pores, I formulated my DIY coffee scrub without coconut oil. Instead, I used sweet almond oil in combination with Himalayan pink salt, brown sugar, ground coffee grinds, and essential oils. These natural ingredients work together to exfoliate, smooth and brighten dull, aging, or acne prone skin.
As a result, your will skin look and feel more youthful. It will also appear healthier and rejuvenated with every use. In addition, this natural skin care product can also help to reduce the appearance of cellulite and stretch marks as well as facial puffiness!
Easy Homemade Coffee Scrub Recipe
My easy DIY coffee scrub recipe without coconut oil is inspired by the Frank Body Original Coffee Scrub. The Frank Body Original Coffee Scrub contains coffee, sweet almond oil, water, salt, brown sugar, orange oil, vitamin E and fragrance.
Scented with a fresh fragrance blend of orange, coconut and cardamom, my DIY coffee scrub recipe contains naturally emollient sweet almond oil, mineral rich pink Himalayan salt, anti-inflammatory blood orange essential oil, brown sugar, and ground coffee to promote glowing, youthful looking skin.
DIY Coffee Scrub Benefits
So what are the benefits of a DIY coffee scrub? Coffee scrubs are often touted as being able to tackle cellulite and stretch marks. However, this easy DIY coffee scrub offers many other additional natural skin care benefits. This natural beauty products works especially well if you are aging or have maturing skin and want to minimize the appearance of wrinkles.
Following some of the coffee scrub benefits you’ll experience through regular use.
Here are the potential benefits of coffee scrub:
- Exfoliates skin to remove dead skin cells, leaving you with supple skin.
- Smooths skin so it looks & feels more youthful.
- Brightens dull skin to give it a healthy looking glow.
- Fights the visible signs of aging to reduce the visible appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and age spots..
- Caffeic acid (found in coffee) has antimicrobial properties that help protect the skin against germs and help to prevent acne.
- Reduces the appearance of cellulite and stretch marks.
- Targets and fights inflammation that can make skin look puffy.
- Increase blood flow which aids in the overall skin health.
- If applied regularly, you will notice that your skin absorbs moisture much more effectively.
That all sounds pretty great, right? It really is. I love the difference adding a coffee scrub recipe to my daily beauty regimen has made. Plus they are so easy to whip together.
However, unlike many of the DIY coffee scrub recipes you see on the internet, mine is different. I formulate my coffee scrub recipe without coconut oil — and for a very important reason.
Why Make Coffee Scrubs without Coconut Oil?
How do you make a coffee scrub without coconut oil? As coconut oil has a fairly high comedogenic rating of 4 — meaning it can clog pores and cause acne when used — I chose to create a DIY coffee scrub recipe without coconut oil. In lieu of coconut oil I used sweet almond oil. Sweet almond oil has a comedogenic rating of 2, which is moderately low, and contains essential fatty acids as well as vitamins A and E.
So not only will this coffee body scrub recipe not cause acne, but it’s also an effective emollient for moisturizing skin. Plus, sweet almond oil is quickly and easily absorbed by the skin.
Skin Benefits of Sweet Orange Oil in a DIY Coffee Scrub
In addition to swapping out the coconut oil in my DIY coffee scrub recipe, I also chose to use blood orange essential oil. I chose this natural essential oil for several reasons. Not only does sweet orange essential oil offer uplifting aromatherapeutic benefits, it also has anti-inflammatory skin care properties. And it has been proven effective at preventing acne and other dermatitis related issues. It can also aid in clearing up existing acne breakouts and further promote healing. So skin looks healthy and feels amazing.
However, it is important keep in mind that any citrus essential oil, including blood orange essential oil, can increase photosensitivity. So when using this DIY coffee scrub, you will need to take proper precautions against sun exposure. And, as with any essential oil, you should consult a physician before use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Additional Coffee Body Scrub Ingredients
I have also included a few optional ingredients in my DIY coffee body scrub recipe. The fragrance oil is, of course, optional. It does smell wonderful and summery blended with the blood orange essential oil. However, you can choose to omit it entirely, especially if you have sensitive skin.
Or simply use an alternate fragrance oil that blends nicely with orange. I also added extra caffeine to my scrub for its purported anti-aging benefits (though research is mixed) along with its anti-inflammatory properties and naturally occurring antioxidants.
The caffeine also further aids in reducing inflammation which in turn can help with puffy skin. In addition, I also added a bit of steam distilled coffee oil to give my DIY coffee scrub recipe more of an underlying coffee scent.
Following is my orange coconut DIY coffee scrub recipe without coconut oil. In addition to this DIY coffee scrub recipe, you’ll also find free printable labels for your own coffee scrubs after the recipe for easy gifting. I hope you enjoy the coffee scrub benefits as much as I do!
Homemade Coffee Scrub Ingredients
We need the following materials to create an exfoliating coffee scrub:
- 4.5 oz. coffee beans, finely ground
- 2.25 oz. pink Himalayan salt, finely ground (you can substitute pink salt with sea salt, if desired)
- 2 oz. brown sugar
- 3 oz. sweet almond oil (jojoba oil or another carrier oil can be used as a substitute)
- .25 oz. blood orange essential oil
- 2 mL vitamin E oil
You can turn this coffee sugar scrub recipe into a lavish body treatment by adding the following ingredients to your homemade coffee scrub:
How to Make Homemade Coffee Scrub
Making a coffee body scrub at home is easy when you follow these instructions. Let me walk you through the simple steps:
2. Mix the dry ingredients together with a fork to ensure even distribution.
3. Now weigh out the sweet almond oil, blood orange essential oil, fragrance oil and water soluble caffeine extract into a separate container. Measure out and add the vitamin E oil using a plastic transfer pipette. Finally, add the coffee oil using a dropper or plastic transfer pipette, then mix together all of the wet /liquid ingredients to combine.
4. Spoon the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well, using a fork to whisk the ingredients until they are combined thoroughly.
5. Now spoon your orange coconut DIY coffee scrub into two clear plastic 8 oz. low profile jars. (Each jar will hold approximately 6.25 oz. of coffee scrub by weight.)
TIP: Alternately, you can also use two 8 oz. High Barrier Kraft Paper Stand up Zipper Pouch Bags. (These bags are comparable to the ones used for the Frank Body Original Coffee Scrubs.) You can also use traditional pantry jars, which are classic wide-mouth, clear glass jars with a rubber gasket seal and easy-to-use clamp down lid.
6. Allow the DIY coffee scrub to cool to room temperature before screwing the lids onto the jar or closing the containers.
Package the coffee scrub recipe + free printable label
Now download the free printable labels for your orange coconut coffee scrub here. Print the PDF file onto a full size white label sheet. Cut out the labels, remove the backing and adhere to the front of your containers.
If you love my DIY coffee scrub recipe for your anti-aging skin care routine, then be sure to pin it for later!
How to Use Homemade Coffee Body Scrub
You can use this scrub in the shower or tub. Follow these simple steps exfoliate your body:
- First, run the water for a few minutes to soften your skin.
- Next, gently apply the DIY coffee body scrub over your body.
- Rub it on your skin in circular motions, moving from the feet upwards to slough off dead skin.
- Then rinse it off in the shower with plenty of water.
Exfoliate with this coffee sugar scrub once to twice per week. Don’t use the scrub on irritated skin or wounds.
How to Store DIY Coffee Scrub
Store your homemade coffee sugar scrub recipe in an airtight jar or container in a cool, dark place.
Use a spoon or cosmetic spatula to take coffee body scrub out from the jar and be careful that no water enters the product.
How Long Does DIY Coffee Scrub Last?
If stored correctly, the coffee scrub can be kept for up to 6 months.
Homemade Coffee Scrub FAQ
For answers to common questions about making coffee scrubs, be sure to visit my original post on how to make coffee scrubs here.
The Best Coffee Scrubs to Buy
Don’t have time to make your own DIY coffee scrubs? Consider shopping for homemade coffee scrubs from a number of wonderful artisans at Etsy. I love the following product available for purchase:
- Whipped Coffee Body Scrub: This whipped coffee brown sugar soap scrub recipe combines and exfoliating bath whip with a homemade body scrub for a luxurious two-in-one product. This paraben free and cruelty free product has been designed to bring you to a stress free state by combining the therapeutic benefits of a sugar scrub with the luxurious feel of a cleansing, foaming bath whip. Enjoy this skin care product on your hands and body to feel instantly refreshed or to indulge in a spa day at home.
- Coffee Scrub Soap:This coffee scrub soap is an ideal solution for exfoliating skin to remove tough dirt and grime as well as for neutralizing kitchen odors. Formulated with a double strong pot of organic coffee and coffee grounds, this soap has a light, natural coffee fragrance.
- Shea Butter Coffee Scrub: This best selling body scrub is hand crafted with a combination of ground coffee and moisturizing shea body butter. In addition it’s also infused with green coffee oil for its skin benefits along with coffee essential oil for a natural scent. This artisan body scrub is ideal not just self care, but also to give as homemade gifts.
Coffee Scrub Recipes
If you love my DIY coffee scrub recipe without coconut oil as much as I do, then you may also like my other natural body recipes with coffee.
- Solid Coffee Scrub: This solid coffee scrub recipe is a seasonal favorite that’s scented with cardamom and pumpkin spice. Made using coffee, sugar and salt to exfoliate skin, this solid body scrub works just as well as a traditional sugar coffee scrub, but without the mess. Learn how to make these skin pampering solid sugar scrub bars to exfoliate and moisturize for glowing skin. Or create these scrubs as homemade holiday gifts for friends and family.
- DIY Coffee Scrub with Coconut Oil: Made with a blend of aromatherapeutic essential oils, this homemade coffee scrub recipe with coconut oil resembles potted succulents and is the perfect treat for your natural summer skin care routine. Learn how to make this DIY beauty recipe today to naturally pamper your skin and reduce the visible appearance of cellulite. Or make this natural body scrub to create unique homemade gifts for friends and family.
- DIY Coffee Body Scrub: Need a quick and easy homemade body scrub? Make this simple 5-ingredient coffee sugar scrub in just 5-minutes. This easy, natural skin care recipe is created with mandarin essential oil to help you achieve the look of naturally glowing skin. It exfoliates away dead skin cells, hydrates skin and helps to tone for firmer looking skin.
- Solid Coffee Sugar Scrub: As the saying goes, sugar and spice and everything nice! This warming cardamom and spice solid coffee sugar scrub recipe is formulated with warm holiday spices for you cinnamon lovers, and a cardamom fragrance oil. Like jar scrubs, it also exfoliates skin to reduce the appearance of cellulite for soft, supple skin. While the addition of mango and cocoa butters moisturize dry skin for lasting hydration.
- Coffee Scrub Soap Recipe: Looking for a mess free way to exfoliate with coffee? Try soap! This easy caffeinated soap recipe has a fun, scrubby coffee scrub center. Made using a melt and pour soap base, this skin care project is a suitable soap making project for beginners.
If you enjoyed learning how to make homemade coffee scrubs for glowing skin, then be sure to try my other homemade body scrub recipes. Discover more recipes for salt scrubs here. Or explore these exfoliating my sugar scrub recipes. Or, find additional bath and body projects with free printable product labels here.
- Ground coffee
- Sweet almond oil
- Brown sugar
- Pink salt
- Blood orange essential oil
- Vitamin E oil
The author may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.