Jacket Turned Cape Refashion
I mentioned this cape in my last post as it being the perfect pairing for the pleated dress. You’ll see why in a minute, if you haven’t scrolled down already!
Originally, I got this jacket because I was on the hunt for one to perform a DIY cape. I was instantly sold on the sophisticated look of it’s brown faux fur collar and how it stood out atop the cream base.
What made it ideal was the fact that it was fully lined. There was one other thing I found that helped but more on that later. I’m a little late in posting, so without further ado…
Here’s what I did
- First, I undid the bottom half of the armhole seams (for both the outer fabric and lining), stopping at the bust seams. The same was done for the sleeve seams. *The sleeves had two seams, so I undid the one towards the front.
- With the sleeves undone, I then pinned the backside of the sleeves (allowance folded under) to the back of the jacket following the princess seam.
- Once I was happy with the placement, I basted it in place then removed the excess. To finish with a straight stitch, I first undid a section of the jacket hem, to separate the lining from the outer fabric.
- Afterwards, I reattached the sleeve lining by folding it over onto the new stitch line, hemming it in place. The same was done for the armhole and front sides of the sleeves. Except they were finished with a straight stitch. I then refinished the hem of the jacket and done!
Like I was saying, the other thing that made this jacket perfect for a cape, was the two-seam sleeves. I found that undoing the front seam, I was able to get just enough coverage without the sleeves twisting out of shape. That’s my take.
All in all I’m pleased with it. I’m ok with the sleeves being shorter. Although a part of me wished the faux fur collar was removable. Either way, I’m just glad I was cape-able of pulling it off.
The author may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.