Super Fun Colour Mix Lined Tote Bag
This super fun colour mix tote bag is a really simple pattern that anyone can sew. You can use your favourite fabric or mix and match all your favourite fabrics and coordinate with your homes interior. It would also be a great use of leftover fabrics. The simplicity of this pattern makes it easy to alter the dimensions to make any size. It can be used for a variety of things and the best part is that it's washable!
You can watch the full tutorial here.
Step 1: Cut out all needed fabric pieces
Step 2: Iron straps in place
Pin the edges of the straps together and sew
Fold the body of the bag in two, measure 4" inward from the folded edge to mark strap placement.
- Place the pocket piece in the middle, then place the straps on it
- Sew both sides of the straps but avoid sewing all the way to the top edge of the bag.
Place the bottom piece right side to right side and sew across the bottom of the bag.
- Then place the other bag body right side facing right side of the bottom piece. Sew across the bottom of the bag.
- Then top stitch the bottom seams
Pin the side seams and sew
- Make a box at the bottom corners of the bag. Do this by flattening the corners until the side seam and the bottom seam meet.
- Place a pin across the triangle you just created and sew across the triangle
Trim off the corner 1/2" from the sewn seam
Pin and sew the side seams of the lining piece. Leave a gap on one side for turning out the bag
Repeat step 10 & 11 to create the box at the corners
- Put the main bag piece inside the lining piece, right side to right side. Make sure the straps are inside.
- Pin and sew 1/4" from the top edge all the way round
- Then use the gap in the lining to turn bag inside out.
Topstitch 1/4" from the top edge to finish off the bag.
Wasn't that fun to make? You can get as creative as you want with these. Love the colour pop, I hope you do too. Let me know your thoughts in the comments
Enjoyed the project?
- Canvas Fabric
- Lining Material
The author may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Join the conversation